This is an awesome dish in autumn when apples are fresh off the tree. On the other hand, it’s pretty awesome any time of the year. Best apples for baking: Granny Smith, Fuji, and Rome Beauty.
Savory Baked Apples
1/4 cup chopped raw pecans
4 large apples
1/2 yellow onion, finely chopped
1/4 cup dairy-free butter spread
1/2 cup sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Toast the chopped pecans by stirring constantly in a dry pan over medium heat until they just start to brown. Remove the pan immediately from the heat, and continue to stir constantly for 1 minute. Then pour into a shallow dish to cool.
- Core the apples from top to near bottom, leaving enough flesh at the bottom to contain the filling.
- Combine the pecans, onion, dairy-free butter spread, sugar, and cinnamon in a small bowl and mix. Use this mixture to tightly fill the cavity of each apple.
- Place apples upright in a baking dish that contains a little water, enough to cover the bottom.
- Bake for 1 hour, or until the apples are soft and the filling is browned.
Yield: Serves 4
Food groups: protein (pecans), carbohydrate (onion), fruit (apples), vegetable (onion)